December 12, 2013

Empowerment.

It's funny how the smallest, most seemingly insignificant comment from a mom (stranger, coworker or friend) can so strongly impact my mindset on childbirth.

Not with other topics. I could give a shit what other people think I should or shouldn't be doing with my spare time or money, what my political opinions are, why I love the gays, etc.

But with something as personal and life changing as bringing a child into the world, the viewpoints from a mother who has been there really matter to me. When she empowers me by telling me everything will go just the way I want (we are having an unmedicated hypnobirth), I feel like I can walk on water.

When she showers me with her own horror stories of birth, "helpful advice," or snarky good lucks, it just makes me feel like garbage. It instills fear, which is the opposite of what should be happening in my mind right now.

In all of our interactions with other women (not just the controversial topic of having children) we should really just try to be nicer to one another. Send out more positive vibes. Judge less. Uplift more.

That is all. For now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People are dumb. You do what you feel is best!