August 1, 2010

biosilk vs. apricot oil

So recently I decided to start learning my around essential oils and such. There are so many benefits that I'm uncovering about the use of aromatherapy.  It seems like nowadays we just head to the pharmacy any time something's not right; either that or spend horrendous amounts of cash on synthetic, name brand, hyped-up products.

Now that the wedding's over I have time to venture hobbies I've always been interested in. Learning to make my own stuff is one of em. I made some sugar scrub and that was a success. I still have a lot to learn (about just the right mixtures) but it'll get come along. It's fun! 

This morning I was looking at the bottle of the apricot oil (used as a main ingredient in my sugar scrub) and I noticed it said something about using it on hair. I also remembered hearing something about rosemary essential oils being good for hair as well. Instead of pouring my typical half-of-a-palm-full of Biosilk to get the comb through after my shower, I tried this: 4 drops of apricot oil + 1 drop rosemary. 

Oh. My.

I cannot believe I've been spending $30 a bottle on Biosilk. It's not that I don't like it (cause I do) but this pure oil mixture worked better and I used much less. Plus, it cost about $7 for the bottles that will last me MONTHS. I highly recommend trying this on your hair if you have any dryness or tangling.

Let's be eco-aware here: 
Biosilk ingredients: Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance). Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Gamma Methyl Ionone, Citronellol, Lilial, Hydroxy Citronellol, Geraniol, Eugenol
I cannot pronounce anything on this list, which to me is not a good sign.

My essential oil hair blend: Pure apricot kernal oil, pure rosemary  (extracted/cold pressed with environmentally friendly practices)


More body care recipes and tips to come!   

No comments: