Feel free to agree, diverge, argue or add to my list of LAVATORY MUST-GOS:
1. Skipping the hand wash after using the facilities. REALLY? I don't think going into details on 'WHY' is necessary. Just please (PLEASE) please wash your hands. And if you see someone skipping that part on their way out, don't hesitate to say something. I know I have. It's not THEIR health I'm worried about. It's the rest of us good lil hand washers. We shouldn't have to suffer from staph, e. coli and other illness-causing bacteria lurking in the loo.
2. Using only water to "wash" your hands then wasting three paper towels on your way out. This is the pushy environmentalist coming out in me. It's fine if you wash your hands and use paper towels to dry (though I prefer --because it's more environmentally resourceful--to use the hand drier) but if you're ONLY RINSING WITH WATER, please don't use paper towels. You're essentially just spreading germs around…then killing a tree. 3. Farting/pooping/stinkin' up the place, then telling people on your way out, "I didn't do that. Wasn't me." This happened to me last week. No kidding.
4. Using toilet seat covers. NEWS FLASH: they don't protect you from anything. They are just a way for people to mentally separate their bums from other bums. IT'S JUST SKIN, PEOPLE. To me, sitting on the cold porcelain of a toilet seat is just as unsanitary as touching a door knob or shaking hands. Assertive environmentalist, here: It's a waste of paper, which is a shame.
5. Leaving messes. Just. Don't.
6. Having full-on conversations from inside the stall. Bathroom time = my private time. Leave me alone.
7. Plugging up a toilet in a public bathroom then not telling anyone. Yeah, it might be embarrassing that one of your turds caused an overflow, but it needs to be fixed. I walked into the bathroom at work one day only to find two inches of sewer water and crap ALL OVER the floor. I slipped and barely caught myself--but not before splashing around in the filth from the banana peel slip reaction. The bottom three inches of my pants were wet for hours.
8. Undoing your pants, untucking your shirt or unbuckling your belt before you're actually in the stall. I don't want to see your panties. STAY DRESSED UNTIL YOU'RE OUT OF MY SIGHT.
9. Bathroom graffiti. What are we, six?
What are your bathroom peeves? I'm sure I'm missing some stuff here…